World War II Glider and Military Museum
302 Kent Street
Open June 3 Through Labor Day
Iron Mountain, MI 49801
Hours: 9 am - 5 pm Monday - Saturday
Seasonal Phone: (906) 774-1086
Noon - 4 pm Sunday
Admission Rates: Click here
During World War II, the Ford Motor Company's plant in Kingsford built more Model CG-4A gliders for the United
States Army than any other company in the nation at much less cost than
other manufacturers. The glider featured in this museum is one of only
seven fully restored CG-4A World War II gliders in the world. Exciting World
War II footage of gliders in action and personal stories of glider riders and
pilots help tell the story.
The "Heiserman," a small aircraft constructed by a local pilot, and a ¾-sized
Piper Cub replica of the model used extensively during World War II round
out the aircraft display.
The military museum also contains an extensive collection of military
uniforms from the Civil War through the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Other memorabilia includes displays of
World War II photographs, Nazi Germany artifacts, a restored World War II vintage Jeep, a 1930's Model AA
Ford dump truck and a Model A Ford Tudor sedan.
A wall of Military and General Plaques honoring those who served, along with the names of donors and
individuals whose time and talents let to the establishment of this museum, is displayed.
The restoration of the CG-4A glider - and the idea for a glider museum - began when a deteriorated fuselage
frame was donated to the Menominee Range Historical Foundation. The glider frame was originally purchased
by Olaf and Beatrice Blomquist, of Iron Mountain, for $75 sometime following World War II from the Ford Motor
Company Plant in Kingsford. The Blomquists, in turn, sold it to their nephew, Vernon (Janie) Anderson, of
Metropolitan, located in northeastern Dickinson County, where it was used as a play house and hunting camp.
The prized artifact was donated to the Foundation by the Andersons in 2005. Interest generated enough funds
to make the restoration possible with enough money to also build a suitable museum to house the aircraft. The
World War II Glider and Military Museum opened in July, 2011.
WACO CG-4A GLIDER INFORMATION
A glider is a winged aircraft with no motor and no propellers. It must be towed by larger, powered aircraft, then
released in flight and piloted to the target landing zone.
During 1942-1945, the Ford Motor Company's Kingsford plant built 4,190
Model CG-4A gliders for use in combat operations during World War II. The
Kingsford plant built more CG-4A gliders than any other company in the
nation at much less cost than other manufacturers. The primary builders of
the Model CG-4A gliders were located in Troy, Ohio; Greenville, Michigan;
Astoria, New York; Kansas City, Missouri; St. Paul, Minnesota; and
The photograph at the left shows a CG-4A Glider on exhibit at the Ford
Motor Company Plant in Kingsford for the Army-Navy "E" Award which was
presented on June 24, 1944.
The primary builders of the Model CG-4A gliders were located in Troy, Ohio; Greenville, Michigan; Astoria, New
York; Kansas City, Missouri; St. Paul, Minnesota; and Kingsford, Michigan.
The CG-4A gliders were used for transporting. The primary reasons for
using gliders were because the glider was a silent aircraft and could deliver
either troops or equipment behind enemy lines undetected at night. Unlike
powered aircraft, a glider could land where there was no airstrip.
Once landed and disembarked, troops began specific assignments, such as
seizing enemy installations, disrupting enemy communications,
reconnaissance work or providing relief and support for friendly troops.
Gliders were used by Canada and Great Britain, as well as the United
States. American glider troops were a part of the 101st Airborne and the 82nd Airborne of the U.S. Army.
The CG-4A glider was a high-wing cabin aircraft having a steel-tube fuselage covered with fabric. The wingspan
was 83 feet, 4 inches, the length was 48 feet, 4 inches and the height was 12 feet, 7 inches. Its wings were
made of wood with plywood and fabric covering. The glider had fixed-type landing gear, nose skids and
The CG-4A glider's designed weight was 7,500 pounds. The maximum designed speed on tow or in free flight
was 150 m.p.h. With the designed load, room required for a normal 3-point
landing was 600 to 800 feet. Normal glide speed was approximately 75 to 85
m.p.h., and the normal rate of descent was approximately 400 feet per
The CG-4A glider could carry 13 soldiers plus the pilot and co-pilot, making a
total of 15 personnel. Instead of troops, the glider could transport military
supplies or equipment, such as a ¼-ton jeep, or a 37mm AT gun, or a 75mm
Howitzer, or a photographic lab, or a weather station, or radar equipment, or a
field kitchen, or a repair shop, or radio equipment, or six litters for evacuation
of wounded personnel.
A pilot and co-pilot operated the towline, trim tabs, spoiler, rudder, toe brake, lights, deceleration parachute and
communication system. Instruments on the glider included an airspeed indicator, rate-of-climb indicator, bank &
turn indicator, altimeter and compass. The entire nose of the CG-4A glider could be raised, facilitating loading
and unloading. There were also doors on both sides of the fuselage.
ALLIED GLIDER OPERATIONS DURING WORLD WAR II
British mission to Norway - November, 1942 - many casualties; failed mission
Invasion of Sicily, July, 1943
China-Burma-India Operations - February, 1944
Invasion of Normandy (D-Day) - June, 1944
Invasion of Southern France - August, 1944
Holland Operation - September, 1944
Bastogne - December, 1944
Rhine River - March, 1945
Luzon, Philippines - June, 1945